After the release of 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Update Part One, the excitement of Minecraft’s summer didn’t end for Mojang Studios. A suite of fixes is currently being tested by the developers before they begin working on 1.18 Caves and Cliffs Update Part Two, which is scheduled for release in Winter 2021. Minecraft: Java Edition 1.17.1 Pre-Release 2 has been released for testing by Mojang Studios.
Pre-Release 2 of 1.17.1 is not a major update as it simply purports to improve on the last iteration with a few additional bug fixes. Although Mojang Studios is still looking for the Minecraft community’s help to test the 1.17.1 update for any remaining issues before it goes public. There is also a technical change in 1.17.1 Pre-Release 2 where Minecraft will now log the deaths of named mobs.
1.17.1 Pre-Release 2 snapshot of Minecraft: Java Edition is now available for testing in advance of the 1.17.1 update’s imminent release. Those who enjoy the game can help test future updates or pick up something from our list of the best Minecraft merch, toys, and gifts, which includes something for everyone.
Pre-Release 2 changes for Minecraft: Java Edition include:
Preview of Caves & Cliffs Update
Get the latest datapack from here
Named mob deaths are now recorded
- The Calcite block is much quieter than other blocks
- An Axolotl / Tropical Fish Bucket obtained through Creative mode only spawns one kind
- An emerald ore is too often generated
- While swimming in flowing water, the player is constantly reverting to normal mode when walking through it
- Changes to diamond ore distribution between 1.16.55 and 1.17
- By killing the villagers holding the item for trade, you can steal it
- Wandering Trader only obtains white kobs from tropical fish
- /clear does not clear certain stacks after dropping items from them