To measure distance in Google Maps follow these steps:
- Launch Google Maps on your computer or mobile device.
- Start by selecting a starting point and placing a pin
- Select Measure distance, then click on the pin.
- Place markers along a path to determine the separation between several locations.
With Google Maps, you have access to a wealth of information about your surroundings, including toll road costs, traffic conditions, and even the distance between two points.
Even if you did discover it, you might not have realized that Google Maps had this feature.
Here, we'll demonstrate How to use Google Maps to measure distance, whether you're using a desktop computer or a smartphone. Once you get the hang of it, measuring is a breeze; you'll be able to accomplish it in a matter of minutes.
How to use Google Maps to measure distance on Desktop or PC
In order to get started, you'll need to open Google Maps on your PC and type in your beginning address into the search field. It is possible to right-click on a location and get a drop-down menu to display.
- This menu has a Measure distance option at the bottom of the list.
- Take a look at your map and choose a location to measure the distance from. Bottom of your screen, you should see a little box.
- According to our calculations, the distance between the Bothell WA and Seattle WA in a straight line is 11.64 miles (18.73 kilometers).
- The white dot on either end of the line can be dragged to a different location by clicking and holding it.
- Choose another point and then draw a line connecting it to several more points.
How to use Google Maps to measure distance on Android / iPhone
- Open the Google Maps app on your iPhone or Android smartphone (or get it from the App Store or Play Store if you don't already have it).
- "Dropped pin" will appear if you touch and hold on any point that isn't an actual place name or location icon.
- Tap on it and a menu with Measure distance at the top should open.
- You'll see a symbol with a dotted blue line.
- A second location on your map can be determined by dragging this icon to a different spot on your map.
- Adding more points to your route, just like on a PC, allows you to design a path that measures the distance between various spots.
- Using the Undo button, you can undo a mistakenly placed point.
- The points you've set will be removed if you open the More menu by pressing the three vertical dots and selecting Clear.
You can't determine how far you'll have to travel by looking at the straight line between two points; unless you're Kitty Pryde or Angel from the X-Men, who can phase through walls and fly.
Google Maps instructions for PCs and smartphones are a better choice for estimating how far you'll have to travel if you want to walk or drive between the destinations. It's easy to add destinations to travel between and design a route with several stops using the regular distance tool.
Plus, you can see how long it will take you to get to your destination by looking at the various forms of transportation available to you. Public transportation is an example where you can only measure between two points at a time (for example).
Hi, I’m vijay dhanda, a tech enthusiast and blogger with a passion for computer and electronics. With years of experience in the field, I love sharing my knowledge and expertise with others through my technical blogs. Along with my love for technology, I’m also interested in games and health. Whether I’m writing about the latest gaming trends, new electronics gadgets, or sharing my health tips and tricks, my goal is to provide readers with valuable insights and information they can rely on. Hope you like the content I am writing and share your feedback.