In this article we will discuss How to Fix Computer Freezing Due to Microsoft Teams. Microsoft Teams, a collaborative workplace, is a Microsoft 365 business communication product. It has recently gained prominence as a critical tool for facilitating seamless workplace interactions and document sharing remotely. Its daily active users increased rapidly to 75 million during the COVID-19 epidemic, since the bulk of businesses continued operations via videoconferencing.
As a convenient tool, Microsoft Teams may occasionally encounter challenges that impede users from taking advantage of the platform's benefits. One of the most frequently encountered issues by consumers is when Microsoft Teams crashes or freezes randomly. We share easy fixes for the same in this guide.
What Can I Do To Prevent Microsoft Teams From Freezing My Computer?
Before we begin, ensure that you are running the most recent version of the Teams app. Additionally, check for updates and install the most recent Windows 10 OS version.
Fix CPU and Memory Consumption
Due to the high CPU and RAM utilization of Microsoft Teams, your computer may freeze. When an application requires more resources than your machine can deliver, system freezes . The good news is that excessive CPU and RAM utilization does not necessarily result in computer freezing. If you're lucky, you'll encounter only infrequent computer slowdowns.
We've already written a guide on how to troubleshoot Teams' excessive CPU and RAM use. Please follow the directions provided there and verify that the issue has been resolved. Essentially, you must:
- Deactivate the Outlook plug-in.
- Terminate all background programs.
- Disable read receipts.
- Optimize visual effects for optimal performance.
- Additionally, increase the size of the pagefile.
Continue with the troubleshooting methods below if the problem persists.
Delete the MS Teams cache
Clearing the Microsoft Teams cache can help address the freezing and crash issues.
- Stop Microsoft Teams
- Launch Task Manager and examine the Teams-related services that are currently running. Bring all services and processes to a halt.
- To open the Run window, press Windows + R.
- Enter %appdata%\microsoft\teams
- Remove all files and folder from above directory.
- Restart your computer after closing Microsoft Teams.
Adjust the Video Settings
Attending Teams video meetings on a machine with 4GB of RAM may place a load on the hardware. Indeed, 8GB of memory is required for a successful online meeting experience. Therefore, it may be time to upgrade your computer or acquire a new device.
In the meantime, attempt to make a call with your camera switched off. Allow video footage just when you take the podium. To enable backdrop images, blur, View Gallery, or Together Mode, extra processor and graphics power is required. Your machine may require additional disk space to compensate for insufficient memory in order to meet your graphics and video demands. This just adds to the system's overall load.
Therefore, attempt to alleviate the load that Teams places on your hardware by performing the following:
- During meetings, turn off your camera.
- Turn off or blur background images.
- From the Teams settings, disable GPU hardware acceleration.
- Close any superfluous applications.
Enable the Maximum Performance Mode
Rather than focusing on battery life, enable the maximum performance options.
- Right Click battery icon in taskbar
- After that, Select Power choices.
- Alternative energy sources Microsoft windows 10
- Select Modify plan settings and then Modify your advanced power settings. alter advanced power configurations
- Locate the option for processor power management.
- Extend the possibilities for the Minimum processor state.
- Allow your computer to run at full CPU power whether it is on battery or plugged in.
- CPU power management in its simplest state
- Relaunch Teams and check to see whether the software continues to freeze your computer.
Bluetooth Devices must be disabled
Numerous users have noted that Teams frequently causes laptops to stall while there is an active Bluetooth connection. Indeed, this is not the first Bluetooth-related issue that Teams users have encountered. As a reminder, several people complained about the software disconnecting Bluetooth headphones at odd times.
Therefore, disconnect your Bluetooth devices if feasible. Rather than using an external Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, use the built-in keyboard and track pad on your laptop. In same vein, disconnect all peripherals that are not required for your meetings. Check to see if you detect any changes.
Change the app’s compatibility for Microsoft Teams
Please follow the instructions below to totally alter the Microsoft team's compatibility.
- Navigate to %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
- Select Compatibility mode by clicking Compatibility.
- From the drop-down menu, select Windows 7.
- Click Apply and OK
- Restart the computer
Reinstall MS Team .
Please follow these instructions to thoroughly reinstall the Microsoft Team application:
- Delete the Teams application.
- Delete all folders in the %localappdata%\Microsoft\Teams\ directory
- Delete the registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Teams\PreventInstallationFromMsi.
- Reinstall MS Teams by downloading the application from Link.
- After that, log in.
If Teams causes your computer to freeze, this shows that the application requires more resources than your machine can provide. Optimize your computer's performance by adjusting its settings, closing superfluous programs, and unplugging non-essential accessories. Kindly notify us if the problem has been resolved. By the way, if you have any further suggestions for troubleshooting this issue, please leave them in the comments section below.
Hi, I’m vijay dhanda, a tech enthusiast and blogger with a passion for computer and electronics. With years of experience in the field, I love sharing my knowledge and expertise with others through my technical blogs. Along with my love for technology, I’m also interested in games and health. Whether I’m writing about the latest gaming trends, new electronics gadgets, or sharing my health tips and tricks, my goal is to provide readers with valuable insights and information they can rely on. Hope you like the content I am writing and share your feedback.