In this article we will discuss How to Deactivate Your Google Email Account. You can delete a Gmail account and all of its messages while maintaining access to your Google, YouTube, and other associated accounts.
How to Deactivate Your Google Email Account
This article will demonstrate how to delete a Gmail account and the related Gmail address.
- Navigate to the Google Account Settings section.Choose your data and personalization.
- Scroll down to Download, delete, or make a plan for your data on the resulting page.
- To delete a service or your account, click Delete a service or your account.
- Then, on the following screen, select Delete a Google service.
- You’ll be prompted to sign in with your username and password.
- On the following screen, select the service you wish to delete. To delete a Gmail account, click the trashcan symbol (🗑) to the right of Gmail.
Note: You can download data before deleting the account
- Enter a different email address than the one linked with the Gmail account you’re about to cancel. In the How will you sign in to Google dialogue box, type an email address.
Note: You cant use Gmail address here
- Click Send an Email Verification.
- Open the Google email ([email protected]) with the subject “Security alert for your associated Google account” or “Gmail Deletion Confirmation”.
- Click the the deletion link included in the notification.
- Log in to the Gmail account you’re about to delete, if requested.
- In the section Confirm Gmail Deletion, Select Yes, I wish to permanently delete [email protected] from my Google Account.
- To delete Gmail, click Delete Gmail.
- Then click Done.
What Happens to Deleted Gmail Account Emails?
Messages will be permanently deleted. You will be unable to access them using Gmail.
Naturally, if you downloaded a copy, either using Google Takeout or via an email software, you can continue to use these communications.
What Becomes of Emails Sent to a Deleted Gmail Address?
Anyone who sends an email to your old Gmail account will receive a delivery failed notification. You may wish to notify your most important contacts of a new or alternate old address.