In this article we will discuss how to configure and activate emergency SOS on the iPhone in iOS 15. There are numerous software features included into the iPhone. Some are obvious, while others are a little more concealed, but they are all really useful and beneficial to your security.
When configured properly, Emergency SOS on iPhone not only provides a rapid way to contact emergency services in the event of an emergency, but also immediately notifies your emergency contacts of your location.
There are several ways to configure and activate emergency SOS on the iPhone in iOS 15. We’ve included them all below to assist you in ensuring that your iPhone is prepared to assist you as much as possible if you ever feel insecure or want emergency assistance.
Five rapid-fire presses of the side/home button
One of the features included in the iPhone’s Emergency SOS settings is the ability to swiftly press the side button or home button five times in succession to contact emergency services.
To configure follow these steps
- Navigate to Settings from Screen
- Scroll to Emergency SOS and tap.
- Toggle Call with Side Button.
A loud siren will sound and a countdown from three will begin when you push the side or home button five times.
However, you can disable the countdown.
To disable it, follow these instructions:
- Toggle off the Countdown Sound in Settings > Emergency SOS.
Using Volume Up/Down and Side/Home button to trigger Emergency SOS
By pressing and holding the side or home button on your iPhone while also pressing and holding the volume up or down button, you can bring up another screen on your iPhone.
- Slide to power off, slide for Medical ID, or slide for Emergency SOS are the options on this screen.
If you slide the Emergency SOS area, this will also contact emergency services, albeit it will be slightly more difficult to perform than hitting the side or home button five times in an emergency, so it’s advisable toggling that option on as described above. Toggling it on does not preclude you from using the sliding option indicated previously.
How to create and edit an iPhone’s emergency contacts
Apple’s Health app supports the addition of emergency contacts. When you utilise Emergency SOS to contact emergency services, these individuals will be notified of your last known position.
- Navigate to Settings from Screen.
- Scroll to Emergency SOS and tap.
- Edit Emergency Contacts in Health to create emergency contacts.
This then launches the Health app, where you can proceed with steps 4-9 below.
- Utilize the Health application.
- In the top-right corner, click your profile.
- Select Medical Identification.
- In the upper right corner, click on ‘Edit.’
- On the ‘Add Emergency Contact’ screen, click the ‘Add’ button.
- Select a contact person
- If they have more than one, choose a number.
- Determine their affinity for you.
- In the upper-right corner, click ‘Done.’
When you navigate to Settings > Emergency SOS, you’ll see a list of emergency contacts to whom a message will be sent along with your location.
How to configure your iPhone’s medical ID
It’s worthwhile to configure your Medical ID on your iPhone concurrently with your Emergency SOS and contact information.
It is possible to configure it so that anybody can access your Medical ID from your iPhone’s Lock Screen if you are involved in an accident and the physicians require information about any allergies or pre-existing medical issues.
- Launch the Health application.
- In the top right corner, click on your profile.
- Tap Medical Identification.
- In the upper right-hand corner, click Edit.
- Complete all required fields and add any necessary notes.
- Toggle ‘Show When Locked’ on or off
- Touch ‘Done’.
When your iPhone is locked, your Medical ID will still be accessible.