Any device can access Wikipedia in dark mode. If you use Wikipedia a lot, the site's white background is probably burned into your mind. The site was made to look simple on purpose. After all, it's meant to be a source of information, not fun.
But you have a few options if you want to give your eyes a break while falling down a Wikipedia hole.
- You can find the dark mode in the Settings menu of the Wikipedia mobile apps.
- The dark mode on Wikipedia's mobile app has two names: "Dark" and "Black."
- You can use an extension like Night Eye to change the Wikipedia website to dark mode.
How to use Wikipedia’s mobile app in dark mode
Most of the time, you can read Wikipedia on your computer using a web browser or on your phone or tablet using the official app.
The Wikipedia mobile app, which is the second choice, has a dark mode built in. Every version of the app, whether you're on an iPhone, iPad, or Android, has a dark mode.
How to enable Wikipedia's mobile app in dark mode on iPhone & iPad
- Open the Wikipedia app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap the gear icon in the upper right corner to open the Settings menu.
- Then tap Reading preferences.
How to enable Wikipedia’s mobile app in dark mode on Android
- On an Android, open the app
- Tap More in the lower right corner
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Theme.
Use the options to make Wikipedia look the way you want it to. By default, it will just match the theme of your system, so if your phone is in dark mode, so will Wikipedia. But if you want dark mode to stay on all the time, tap either Dark or Black, which are the two types of dark mode.
Dark turns a white background into a dark blue one, while Black completely covers it up. This second choice works well with OLED screens.
There is also an option called Sepia that turns the background brown.
When you turn on Dark Mode, you can also turn Image dimming on or off. This will make the pictures on Wikipedia darker, so they don't stand out as much against the dark background.
How to use Wikipedia’s website in dark mode
The Wikipedia website doesn't have a dark mode like the apps do. You'll have to use an extension or add-on instead.
Night Eye is our favourite dark-mode add-on. This add-on works with all of the major desktop web browsers and gives a dark theme to thousands of websites.
When you install Night Eye, you get three months of Night Eye Pro for free. After three months, you'll have to pay for a subscription or switch to Night Eye Lite, which has most of the same features but can only be used on five websites at once.
- Go to the Night Eye website, choose your browser, and then add the extension.
- Once it's set up, go to Wikipedia and choose Night Eye from your list of extensions (usually in the top-right corner of the screen, marked by a puzzle piece icon).
- Click "Try for Free," and then reload the page. You should now see a darker version of Wikipedia.
- If you ever want to turn off dark mode, open Night Eye again and click the power icon.
Hope you liked the article how to enable Wikipedia Dark mode.